Thursday, September 22, 2011

A new phase

It's been a minute since I wrote in here. Summer felt like forever, and within that forever, it had its share of highs and lows. I am back here now, in pretty, cold, wet Seattle. Only when I left did I realize how much I like living here, how much I like having a home with loved ones and community.

Transitions! This year has had so many of those funky moments. I am bad at transitions, and have to brace myself for them. For now, the biggest transition in my life is no longer being a CNA (though I should apply for an on-call position), and now *finally* being a nursing student.

A little nervewrecking and scary, especially after our 8 hour-long orientation yesterday where basically we were told it's either STUDY and CLINICALS, or DIE.

It's not really a choice for me. I have to power through these 2 years. Be a good student and do well in my clinicals and practical. My family needs me to do this, get the fuck out and have a stable paycheck that I can support them with, and oh, pay back my loans with.

Welcome to this new period.





3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it to nursing school. I'm on the CNA to nurse journey, too, but I started the last quarter of nursing school this week. I wish I could go back in time and let my first-year student self know that I was going to make it through a difficult time, but I can't, so I'm telling you. Your thoughtful blogging already demonstrates the critical thinking needed for really good nursing. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You gatheringwater!
    How was your experience doing the CNA-nurse thing? I am curious about it. Did you think working as a CNA helped you with nursing school? Where are you based out of?
    I really need the power boost, thanks a lot:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a CNA has been a real advantage in nursing school. Being used to talking to and touching older and infirm people seems like a simple thing, but I remember one of my classmates cried on our first nursing home clinical because he was so freaked out to see an old woman's body. (!) Part of nursing training includes working with CNAs, so knowing what that job is all about and how to make a CNA's life easier can help make a nursing student's life easier, too. I think CNAs today do a lot of what nursing used to be about or maybe what nursing at its core really should still be about. I'm based in Port Townsend, WA. Good luck. I really enjoy reading about your work and family reflections. I know that blogging can sometimes feel like sending messages in bottles, but they do sometimes find a shore.

    ReplyDelete